lianachau

Bookaholic-ness~

YA book blogger/reviewer. Passionate reader, blogger, and aspiring writer.

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin Trilogy Series #1)

Grave Mercy - Robin LaFevers Yeah, I'll admit it: I'd expected a lot from this book. Yes, it was good. It's kind of hard to type this review because I really don't know where to start. There's just so much to say..The cover is gorgeous. The title. Oh, my gosh. How could a reader NOT be attracted? Sometimes, authors always write books in which the protagonist is a male, and the male has to save a damsel in distress. And I just absolutely LOVE it when the protagonist is a lady assassin. How fab is that?!Ismae, the protagonist (who just so happens to be on the cover), is a strong person. She's wields her weapons like another arm. She's a bit insecure and I think the general idea of this book is heart against duty. And she can't do anything about it.I just love this whole entire setting, except there are a few things that I didn't really like.The history and the politics. I know this is historical fiction, and I absolutely ADORE historical fiction, knowing full well that this was a HF book before picking it up. But really? I think a little more than enough time was spent talking about politics-- instead of getting on with the story.The slow romance. Some people LOVE slow romance, but since I'm me, I can't stand slow romance. I just cannot-- Well, my point is, do not read this book if you're a sucker for romance. Because you won't really be satisfied until the latter half of the book. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the romance that happened, how it happened, and all, but I just didn't really like the speed of it.. which just happened to be a speed of a turtle swimming in molasses.Despite those aspects, LaFevers totally had me on the very first page, all the way to the last.